Monday 22 September 2014

Quizlet - A really useful Vocab Tool

I have started using Quizlet with my students this year as I was after amore inventive way for my students to learn the Vocabulary needed for the course.

One of the prominent issues that comes up each year on the IB report is that students have misused or not used the musical terminology that is needed. I am hoping using Quizlet will help students to start using the terminology regularly, easily and confidently.

Signing up is easy use your google or FB account. I chose my google account for ease.


The next stage is that I set up a class for my students to sign up to. This is my class they can have their own icons, so their profile has that element of personality. As you can see I have a number of different vocabulary sets. Some that I have created and others that others have created and I can add to my class. It saves you the hard work.


You can then click on a set and here are a list of some the vocabulary that I have added. At the top are a number of choices. 
  • Flashcards, where you have the key word on the front and the definition on the reverse. 
  • Learn, Where you have to type the key word to the definition
  • Speller, You have to spell the keyword correctly
  • Test, Modelled like a short test with type in answers and multiple choice tests
  • Scatter, A game where you have to match keywords and definitions
  • Space Race, Where the definition moves slowly across the screen and you have to type in the key word before it reaches the end.



Scatter game, drag and drop the definition and keywords upon each other.


You can keep track of who has the high score in your class.


This to me is a far more engaging way for students to expand their musical vocabulary. 

You can keep track of your students, who has been online and how well they have done in each test. This can help teachers identify what gaps there are in the students education. I have signed up $20 for the teachers version which allows myself to have an extra number of classes and voice recording. This allows myself to correctly pronounce some of the mispronounced musical keywords.

I have set my students tasks to revise the keywords outside of lesson. With the use of Quizlet I can identify how well they are comprehending the keywords into their learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment